- MS, US Air Force Institute of Technology
- United States Military Academy at West Point
Memberships and citations
- Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Transportation Research Board, an independent advisory body to the federal government
- National Associate of the National Academies
- Elected to the US Air Force Institute of Technology national engineering honor society, Tau Beta Pi
- o: (202) 289-2060
- f: (202) 289-8683
Maj. Gen. van Loben Sels has more than 40 years experience managing military, transportation and water resources planning, engineering, and construction.
During his service with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Jim commanded three divisions: North Pacific, Europe, and North Atlantic. In these assignments, Jim gained significant expertise in water resources, coastal engineering, hydroelectric power, and environmental regulation.
He also commanded Fort Leonard Wood, now home of the Army Corps of Engineer School. He retired as Deputy Commanding General, US Army Training and Doctrine Command.
He is a Professional Engineer, licensed in Virginia and South Carolina (retired).
- Served seven years as director of the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), managing more than 20,000 employees while streamlining transportation planning, design and construction.
- “Principal in Charge” for the design of the longest cable-stayed bridge in North America located in Charleston, SC.